As a person who is trying to be debt free and reach financial independence someday, I’m always looking for ways to cut expenses and save money. I’m okay with sacrificing cable and switching my cell phone to a virtually unknown company. I’m also okay with telling coworkers, “sorry, I can’t go out to lunch today.” I’m okay doing a lot of things differently to save money, but the one thing that I cannot do is NOT go on vacation.
I understand vacations could get expensive and if you are deeply into debt, I highly recommend you put vacations on hold for a little bit. However, if you are making headway into paying off your debt and haven’t taken a break in a while, maybe it is time to take a vacation.
If you are not sure whether you should take a break or not, here are some signs that you need a break.
9 Signs You Need A Vacation
1. Waking up feels like torture – If you hit the snooze button 37 times before getting up because you dread going to work – you probably need a vacation.
2. Wishing to get sick – If you are wishing to get sick or wishing you could break your leg so you don’t have to go to work – it’s time for a vacation.
3. You no longer care about work – If work feels like is so routine that you can do it with your eyes closed, or you just don’t feel like doing anything at work – you probably need a vacation.
4. Wardrobe malfunction – If you show up at work wearing two different color pairs of shoes or wearing pajama pants with your suit jacket – it’s time for a vacation.
5. Mood swings – If you want to punch people in the face when they say “good morning” or simply smile at you, and if you wish Nancy from accounting gets badly sunburned when she tells you she’s going to the beach this weekend – you probably need to seek help and then go on vacation.
6. Red spot on your forehead – If you always have a red spot on your forehead because you can’t seem to stay awake and keep banging your head on your desk – it’s time for a vacation.
7. About to lose it – If you can’t hide your disdain for a certain coworker and are about to drop kick him from the top of the conference room table – you probably need a vacation.
8. Haven’t seen your suitcase – If you haven’t seen your suitcase in so long that you don’t even remember what it looks like – it’s time to vacuum all the cobwebs off it, fill it up with comfortable clothing, and take a vacation.
9. Can’t look at yourself – If you need sunglasses to look at your pale legs and you are starting to look like Gollum from Lord of the rings – you probably need to go outside, and spend some time in the precious sun.
Go on Vacation
If you haven’t taken a break in a while and feel tired and bored with work, taking a vacation will help you recharge. It will help you relax and forget about work even if it’s just for a little bit.
You don’t have to spend a fortune on vacation; a staycation or even a short trip to a neighboring city could do the trick. But don’t wait too long because there’s only one month of summer left. Maybe it is also time to cross out some things off your summer bucket list.
So take a little break, enjoy yourself, and come back recharged and ready to tackle anything they throw at you at work – okay maybe on the second or third day back from vacation… I’m still on vacation my first day back to work.
When was the last time you went on vacation? Do you have anything planned or do they have to get a court order to get you to take a day off?